Salted Caramel Choc Tart
Contributed by Dan Jones
- 250 g / 8.8 oz Four Roses plain flour
- 60 g / 2.1 oz cocoa powder
- 150 g / 5.3 oz butter, room temperature
- 60 g / 2.1 oz powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 340 g / 12 oz sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 90 ml / 3 oz water
- 100 ml / 3.4 oz heavy cream
- 1 heaping tablespoon sour cream
- 100 g / 3.5 oz butter
- 260 g / 9.1 oz dark chocolate
- 260 ml / 8.8 oz heavy cream
- Put all the ingredients for the crust into a bowl and start kneading.
- When the dough starts to form, transfer everything to the working surface and knead until a smooth dough forms.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for half an hour.
- Flatten the dough thin on a well floured surface. The dough should be a few centimetres wider than the diameter of tart mold.
- After you’ve flattened it, dust it with flour a bit so it doesn’t stick, then roll it around the rolling pin and transfer into a mold.
- Tuck it in nicely and then cut out the excess dough that hangs out of the mold.
- Heat oven to 180°C/356°F.
- Poke a few holes in dough on a bottom of a mold with a fork.
- Take a piece of baking paper and place it over the dough.
- Put some beans or rice over the paper so the dough doesn’t rise and deform while baking.
- Bake like this for 15 minutes, then remove the mold from the oven, take out the rice/beans and paper and return the mold into the oven for another 5 minutes of baking. When it’s done, let cool completely.
- For the caramel bring sugar, salt and water in a pot to boil and then continue to simmer on low heat until the mixture get nice caramel colour, be very careful while you do as it's extremely hot.
- Stay near the stove because from the moment that caramelization process begins, everything happens fast.
- when caramel gets desired colour, quickly remove the pot from the stove and stir in butter, sour cream and heavy cream.
- Stir until it gets evenly smooth and let cool slightly.
- Pour into the cooled crust. Let cool completely and put into the fridge.
- When caramel is totally cool, begin to prepare ganache. Let heavy cream to boil and put pieces of chocolate into a bowl.
- When the cream boils pour it over the chocolate. Let it sit for a minute and then start stirring until it gets smooth and shiny.
- Let it slightly cool and pour into crust over the caramel. Let everything sit in a fridge overnight.